Wednesday, October 25, 2006

SEC Media Days

The SEC media basketball days started today and will wrap up tomorrow. Coach Kennedy was joined by seniors Todd Abernathy and Bam Doyne. I will be interested to see how either of these two guys contribute this year. I am not familiar with the team or the new players this year. However I do feel like the Rebels will be an improved team this year on the court and in the win loss column.

Here is what Kennedy had to say:

"Our expectations are high internally, maybe not so much externally. That is the great thing for us. People don't realize how special this is for me, being a native Mississippian. This is just a wonderful opportunity for me."
"I just left a perennial top-20 program. I think Ole Miss can get back to greatness again. Looking at the past, they have had success with Rod Evans and Rob Barnes. They had a great mixture. We just have to find that again to be successful."
"We have changed the approach. We are going to play pressure basketball. We are going to get after the ball, as well as take it to the basket. I believe that in life, you don't take a backward approach and allow yourself to be backed into a corner. We are going to take that same approach."
"I hate to give the coaching speak, but that is what I have to do. I want to see daily improvement. They (the players) are learning about us just like we are learning about them. You have to find out what the other is like. You don't want to stick a square peg into a round hole."
"That is why I wanted to bring the two seniors in Todd Abernethy and Bam Doyne. They are not used to winning like they want to. I want them to experience that. I think that it is unfair to look four years down the road at expectations and not be able to include these guys."