Sunday, October 22, 2006

A Sad Day

When I read this on the internet after the game yesterday I was shocked. I knew Robert Langley and he was a great guy. For those of you that lived in Stockard around my age, you would know officer Langley too. He was always there and would come into your room and chat with you about all sorts of things. He was the type of officer that understood what was going on in the world and was not all caught up in the power that he was given. He did not try and hassle people over small violations that he knew could be worked out in otherways. He would always come over to the Sigma Nu house late at nights also and would help us out when things got out of control. Those students that knew him respected him and enjoyed getting to know him. They also knew where the line was and knew not to cross it when he was around. I remember thinking to myself I miss seeing him when I learned that he was off fighting for our country the last two years while I was at Ole Miss. I hate that we did not get to work with each other even more before I graduated. He returned to campus late last school year and I never got to speak to him before I left. The University and America has lost a great veteran and public servant.


(DM) A University of Mississippi police officer killed after being dragged by a student motorist stopped for speeding Saturday morning was praised as a respected officer.
Robert Langley, 30, of Oxford had stopped Daniel Cummings, 20, a second-year student, about 2 a.m. for speeding westbound on Fraternity Row, according to Ole Miss officials.
The driver, stopped on Jackson Avenue, suddenly pulled away, dragging the officer about 200 yards, according to University Police Chief Jeffrey VanSlyke.
Langley suffered severe head injuries and was taken by helicopter to Regional Medical Center in Memphis, where he was pronounced dead about 11 a.m.
"This is a tragic and senseless incident," said Police Chief Jeffrey VanSlyke at an evening news conference. "He was an exceptional officer, the kind of officer that any police chief would love to have on the police force, tremendous character, integrity and credibility..."
Cummings, who is from Germantown, Tenn., has been charged with capital murder. He was being held without bond in the Lafayette County Detention Center.
Langley, a four-year veteran of the 30-officer department, also served in the Mississippi Army National Guard. A field artillery man, he returned in April after a tour in Afghanistan.