Thursday, January 26, 2006

THE THUG GAME

I was sitting at home last night listening to the Big Show with Nate and Drew and just after listening to my segment on the Rebel Report, which you can listen to weekly at www.wlezfm.com, I turned it to the Memphis-UAB game. Noticeably absent was the Memphis freshman who was arrested for pot earlier this week. Not a season goes by without one Memphis player getting arrested. Anyway I look up and the cameras pan to the fans in the stands. First of all we all know what Memphis basketball fans are like, they love to just jump on the bandwagon. They are fans who very few went to Memphis State and many of whom I care very little about. But back to the subject, as they pan through the crowd they show none other than Nolen Richardson in the crowd pimped out in a UAB sweatsuit, and best yet he was standing up yelling at the refs. Nolen, the former Arkansas coach, was there to see his number one assistant from Arkansas Mike Anderson who is the head coach at UAB. It made my night to see Nolen in the stands yelling at the refs. Normally a former coach like Richardson would be up in a box somewhere watchin the game. Instead he was in the middle of the Memphis State fans(ugh) raising cain with the refs.

Nolen coached some great Arkansas teams in the 90's for the Razorbacks. I remember when Ole Miss used to play Arkansas at the Tad Pad and there would be bus loads of Razorback fans that would come into Oxford for the game. Arkansas basketball was big time and their fans would go anywhere to see them. One night when we were at the SEC Tourney in Atlanta leaving the Hard Rock and Nolen was walking down the street. He had an entourage of fans worshipping the feet he walked on.

I have stated in the past that I really like Mike Anderson and his coaching. He has done well coaching the Blazers and I think he should be coaching in the SEC. I believe Auburn tried to get him to come coach when they hired Jeff Lebo. I hope he is still around if there is ever an opening in the Ole Miss job.

Disclaimer: I rambled alot in this post. Try hard to follow it. I appologize, but it really shocked me to see Nolen in the stands yelling at the refs.