Monday, October 29, 2007

Rebels Suspend Top Player

I am having connectivity issues so I hope this post goes through.

I am sure everyone has heard this news by now, but this AP article appeared this afternoon, stated Greg Hardy would be suspended indefinately. Since that time we have learned Hardy will be suspended for the rest of the season, and may have played his last football at Ole Miss.

While I absolutely hate to see it happen, I do not blame Orgeron one bit. Hardy is an excellent player, but obviously has some major attitude problems. There is really no good way to spin this post. This kid might have just cost himself a few million dollars.

(AP)JACKSON, Miss. -- Mississippi coach Ed Orgeron said Monday he has suspended defensive end Greg Hardy for a violation of team rules.
Orgeron said the suspension is indefinite and offered few details, though he did say later that the Southeastern Conference's sack leader was not in legal trouble.
"I think I have a very, very disciplined team," Orgeron said. "I think the guys know if they violate team rules there are consequences."
Hardy, a 6-foot-5, 255-pound sophomore from Memphis, leads the SEC with eight sacks and 15.5 tackles for loss. He was left home and did not play in Saturday's 17-3 loss at Auburn. The Rebels play Northwestern State of the Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA) on Saturday in Oxford.
Hardy, perhaps the team's best athlete and a young star in the SEC, had started just four of eight games before the Auburn game with no explanation from Orgeron.
Hardy is at least the third Ole Miss player to lose starts for apparent disciplinary reasons. Offensive lineman Corey Actis and John Jerry were both demoted earlier this season.
When asked if a "trend" of discipline problems was developing, Orgeron said he would not even repeat the word.
"As I look across the country I see guys getting arrested, I see guys being put in jail," Orgeron said. "I haven't seen any of that with my players. I think we run a very strict, disciplined program here. I feel I have a very well-behaved team."