Monday, January 15, 2007

It's Official

Well as it has been reported and rumored over the last several weeks, the hiring of John Thompson to Ole Miss is official. Thompson will act as the first defensive coordinator under the Orgeron administration. Thompson comes to the Rebels with years of experience and has coached on some successful teams. He most recently coached at South Carolina as a co-defensive coordinator, however he did not coach last year as he was serving as A.D. at Central Arkansas.

To be honest, I did not think that Orgeron would ever hire a defensive coordinator to work under him, but I am glad he did. I think this might take a little bit of the work load off of Orgeron. But do not get me wrong I still believe that Orgeron will still have a major role in the defense and the plays that will be called.

I am hearing that this is not the end of all the coaching moves, and another Ole Miss coach could be leaving the staff soon on the defensive side of the ball. Looks like there will be some more moving around of coaching duties as the shift in coaches continues.