Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Talking to the Commish

"We have concluded our discussions with Commissioner Mike Slive and Coordinator of Football Officials Rogers Redding regarding the officiating of the game," said Boone. "We had an in depth discussion about specific plays as well as general officiating policies. I am comfortable this matter has been handled appropriately and appreciate the proactive approach from Rogers Redding and Commissioner Slive."

These are the words from Pete Boone concerning the awful calls that were made this weekend by so called SEC officials. We all know exactly what plays he is talking about. The one that I can still not figure out is the holding call on the punt. Even if it was holding, it was way after the block had occurred(I have not had a chance yet to re-watch the game, so have not seen any replays). With instant replay though I do not see how officials are making such bad calls. Is it me or are they worse now than before replay.

It seems like to me they just throw a flag if they think it is a penalty, and they will then review it to see if they are right or not. I was a fan of instant replay when it was first brought to college football. But if it is going to make things worse, then I say go back to the old ways. I know they will not tell us what the outcome of the meetings were, but I hope they reached an agreement that there were some bad calls.