Monday, September 18, 2006

Rumors

I am hearing rumors that Memphis State defensive coordinator Joe Lee Dunn was fired by Tommy West. I have not heard or read it from a credible source yet though. Dunn was the former interim head coach and defensive coordinator at Ole Miss. After leaving Ole Miss he was then hired by the Jackal at Mississippi State where he also served as defensive coordinator. Wonder if Joe Lee will be required to wear socks wherever he ends up next?

Update: Dunn has been fired per C-L:

Joe Lee Dunn, a former popular assistant coach at Mississippi State and Ole Miss and former interim head coach of the Rebels, was fired today as defensive coordinator at the University of Memphis, according to a news release on the school’s Web site.
Dunn came to Memphis in the spring of 2003 after being fired as defensive coordinator at Mississippi State.
Memphis coach Tommy West announced Dunn’s firing during a news conference this afternoon.
“I want to thank Coach Dunn for the contributions he made in the three years that he was here," West said in a statement on the Memphis Web site. “I think he was a big part of our success but I have a responsibility to my boss (athletic director R.C. Johnson) and our team to do what I feel is the right thing. I like Joe Lee as a person. This is a business decision by me. I didn't feel that at this time we were moving forward on the defensive side of the ball. When I feel that way and I can't be positive about what we are doing, then I've got to make changes. Again, I appreciate what Joe Lee did while he was here. This decision was based on a confidence issue about our system.”
West said he will serve as defensive coordinator for the rest of the season