Sunday, September 17, 2006

Cats Tame Rebels

Ole Miss football continues to struggle as they were defeated by Kentucky 31-14 this Saturday in Lexington. The Rebels got on the scoreboard first, but were not able to keep the lead. The story of the day for the Rebels was the mistakes they made. Multiple times the Rebels were killed by costly penalties they made that were bad mistakes. They even started the game with an offsides call. Mistakes are something that this team can not afford to make if they are going to win another game this year.

For the offense, Brent Schaeffer had a better game with his completion rate and rushing, but he is still not all there. Schaeffer made some awful mistakes that were crucial in the outcome of the game. I did not expect Schaeffer to come in here and take over the entire season, but I expected him to be a little better than I have seen in the last two games. Costly fumbles and interceptions in this game lead to the Cats having more points on the scoreboard.

The defense continues to struggle. The Wildcats managed to get most of their yards in the first half. To the coaches credit, they did make some adjustments at half time and went to three down lineman for alot of the second half. This helped slow down the Wildcats rushing attack in the third quarter. The biggest eyesore on the team is the play of the defensive backs. I am not a defensive genious, but I know we are not playing the position the way it is supposed to be played. Hopefully some of the backups can improve over the next couple of weeks and replace some of the current starters.

So where does the season go from here? I do not know. At the beginning of the year I picked the Rebels to go 6-6 on the year. However I also thought we would win 3 of the first 4 games. We obviously have not done that and I really doubt there is any chance we can go 6-6 at this point. So I pose the question now? How many wins will the Rebels have this year or will they win again?

The Deamon Deacons of Wake Forest come to town this week. They are shall we say, a weak football team, however they are 3-0 on the season. Which includes a 7-6 win over powerhouse Duke. I will estimate the crowd this week at 42,000. The game in Oxford this weekend should be very uneventful. I honestly do not know what to think of this team anymore.