Monday, January 14, 2008

Oher To Enter the Draft

(1/16)WAIT ONE MINUTE.....Oher has changed his mind
It appears Michael Oher has changed his mind and will be coming back for his senior season afterall. I have to say I think Michael has made the right choice.

(Quote from Oher)“While I felt good about being projected as a possible first round pick and had everybody in my corner, it just kept coming back to me that I was leaving some unfinished business at Ole Miss,” Oher said. “It’s really about winning more games and going to a bowl game. I wanted to be a part of making that happen. Most of all, I want to finish my senior year with my teammates. Also, I'm sure mom and dad are happy with my decision to come back.”

(Original Post)
I can't say I agree with this move. Michael is a dominant player that is very good, but I truly believe he needs another year left. I don't anticipate this being another Rufus French story, but he truly might not get what he is wanting by entering the draft a year early.

I would like to hear others thought on Oher going pro.

(UMAA)OXFORD, Miss. -- Ole Miss offensive tackle Michael Oher announced Mondaynight that he will bypass his senior season with the Rebels in order toenter the upcoming 2008 National Football League draft.“I just felt it was time for me to move on and pursue options to do newthings,” said Oher. “Attending Ole Miss was a positive experience for me,and I had a good time. I’m sorry we didn’t go to a bowl game during mythree years, and I wish I could have helped us reach that goal. Most ofall, I will miss my teammates, especially guys like Jamarca Sanford,Peria Jerry, John Jerry, LaMark Armour and Marshay Green.”A native of Memphis, Oher started 34 consecutive games over his threeyears as a Rebel. The 6-foot-5, 325-pounder earned All-SEC honors each ofthe past two seasons, as he helped pave the way for BenJarvusGreen-Ellis’ back-to-back 1,000-yard rushing campaigns.“I knew Michael had his mind on coming out early,” said Ole Miss headcoach Houston Nutt. “Over the last three weeks, we had hoped to talk himout of it. While I’m sorry we will not be able to coach him, we wishMichael the very best as he enters this year’s draft.”As a junior in 2007, Oher was a consensus First Team All-SEC selectionand Fourth Team All-American by Phil Steele. He earned the RebelQuarterback Club Trench Award for three games and helped the Ole Missoffense pile up 534 yards against Missouri and 466 against eventualnational champion LSU.Oher was named Second Team All-SEC in 2006 and a First Team FreshmanAll-American in 2005.The subject of the New York Times best seller, “The Blind Side: TheEvolution of a Game,” Oher arrived at Ole Miss as the nation’s top prepoffensive tackle. The Briarcrest Christian product received first teamAll-America honors as a senior and was named to Rivals.com’s U.S. ArmyAll-America Bowl All-Time Team.