Monday, September 04, 2006

Notes and Quotes From The Game

For the first game of the year, many Rebel fans walked away from Vaught Hemingway excited and looking forward to the next game. While the game ended a little closer than many would have hoped for, it was a good outing for the Rebels. I feel like the offense played very well and the defense still needs a little work. The Schaeffer-McCluster combo could lead to some big wins for the Rebels this season.

The offensive line seemed better than I expected for the Rebels. Andrew Wicker played one of the better games I have seen him play. When Wicker was used to pull and block he gained at least 6 yards a play on alot of plays it was more than that. I was glad to see this unit play without any penalities. The play calling was outstanding. I thought the calls Werner made were great and all came at excellent times in the games. Probably the biggest and most effective change for Ole Miss football over the past 2 years.

Newcomers that are going to make a huge difference on this team aside from the obvious McCluster and Schaeffer. Ben Jarvus Green Ellis had a great game and he made some excellent blocks in the backfield also. BJGE is a big asset in the backfield. John Jerry is HUGE he is going to be a very good offensive lineman by the time he leaves Oxford.

Defense needs some work. I was dissapointed in the play of the secondary. It had been reported they were improved, but I did not see much improvement this weekend. The defensive line play had its ups and downs, but they need to get healthy. Seemed to be a litte late of the ball sometimes. But this does not bother me at all. I know Coach O was not satisfied with the play from this unit. If I had to guess I would say he was mad. I know he will work tirelesly this week to correct defensive problems.

I was very glad to see the Mullins bust at the players entrance. I think this is an awesome idea. You have all read about my disagreement in the retiring of the jersey, but this is a great thing they started. The video and presentation before the game were good and there were quite a bit of tears in the stands.

I was also impressed with our crowd. They seemed to be into the game more. They announced the crowd at 55,000, but I felt like there were more than that there. Not sure why, but it looked like alot more. I did not expect that many people to be there, but no complaining here.

I leave you with a quote from Geoff Calkins of the Commercial Appeal concerning the two meeting again:

"Say, Dec. 29, at 3:30 p.m., at the AutoZone Liberty Bowl. "

My take: Maybe us, but not Memphis