Friday, July 28, 2006

Media Daze

As I stated yesterday I felt like most of the media's attention in Friday's newspapers would be about Brent Schaeffer and him qualifying. While much of the reports throughout the south were about this several were not.

Let' start with the bad. Rick Cleveland's article today was just plain pathetic. I am normally a fan of Rick Cleveland and his articles. Heck I have even read his book of all his articles and it is very good, but man was I not happy with this article. His article today was just plain bad work for a guy that is well respected among sportswriters. Granted he catches a lot of flack from MSU and Ole Miss fans for the articles he writes and I have never agreed with either side. Todays article feels like some article covering the MPSA media event they have before the championship game. It was poor journalism at its best in my opinion. Maybe Rick Cleveland stayed out at Bell Bottoms in Five Points too late the night before, but here it is: http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060728/COL0504/607280356/1287

On the flip side Geoff Calkins article titled "Digging Deep" was one of the better stories I had read in quite sometime. The Memphis Commercial Appeal really hit home when they ran this article in Friday's paper. I guarantee you there were several teary eyes from grown men after they read this article about Patrick Willis and having to bury his brother last week. Calkins outstanding article hit the email waves fast. By 9:00 I had already received about 5 emails from people sending out this article to the Rebel family. This article was outstanding and a tough read for anyone with a heart, Bulldog, Vol, Tiger, it did not make a difference who you pulled for when you read this article. In the near future I just might have to read the Commercial Appeal before the Clarion Ledger. In case you missed it here is the excellent article: http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/sports_columnists/article/0,1426,MCA_468_4875969,00.html