Sunday, May 01, 2005

My Good Friend Bill's House

I spent a Sunday afternoon doing something I probably would not be doing if it was not for someone reminding me of the idea. Sunday afternoon at Rowan Oak was quite an affair. Rowan Oak, the home of the late great writer William Faulkner was re-opened after a three million dollar renovation. Their were many campus dignitaries in attendance. The most notable of the two were actor Morgan Freeman and best-selling author John Grisham. Grisham, gave a very good talk about the life of William Faulkner. I was really impressed with the way Grisham acted with his former townsfolk. Others in attendance included Chancellor Khayat, Congressman Roger Wicker and Governor Haley Barbour. I was really glad I attended and experienced Rowan Oak for the first time. It made you proud to be a part of the University of Mississippi.