Sunday, August 20, 2006

Two Weeks From Today

Well the Ole Miss Rebels officially kick off football season two weeks from today against the Memphis Tigers. Yesterday the Rebels held an open scrimmage as part of Meet the Rebels Day. I was not in attendance, but I have picked up on a couple of notes.

- QB Brent Schaeffer was held out of practice yesterday. No big deal. Coach O was more than likely just holding him out for precautionary reasons. I do not blame him one bit. You build an offense around a guy, and then he gets hurt in an intraaquad scrimmage two weeks before opening kickoff. Totally understandable.

-QB Cliff Davis, who for the past four years has been in the Houston Astros organization was not in attendance Saturday. It is being reported that Davis is questioning himself of the path he wants to take. He has gone back to Eupora to think about this as school starts on Monday. I can only imagine what the transition might be like from major league baseball to SEC football. Not picking up a football in four years and then going to college to play QB has to be one heck of a change. I hope he changes his mind and comes back to Ole Miss. I was planning on him getting some playing time in the near future. There have been some succesful QB's come from the minor leagues to college football, I hope Davis can be one.

-Still no Rory Johnson, Johnson is now awaiting admissions from Ole Miss. If someone would get off their tail at Martindale and speed up these admissions that would be great. I understand they have to go through the same process as other students, but let's pick it up a little.

-And finally for those that have been wondering. Still no Jerrell Powe and class starts tomorrow. While he can still come several weeks after school starts, I am beginning to have my doubts, but am not giving up. The NCAA really makes me mad.