Monday, May 08, 2006

Number 38 Should Stay


Many people are aware of the situation concerning Patrick Willis and him wanting to wear number 49 next year instead of number 38, which he was awarded this spring. I was made aware of this situation last month when a former Chucky Mullins winner and M-Club board member brought up the situation with me and asked my thoughts. I told him it is selfish of Willis to not want to wear 38. Wearing number 38 is the highest honor an Ole Miss footbal player can acheive and is recognized throughout the Southeast and by many college football fans.

When I was told Willis wanted to wear his number instead of Chucky's, I was shocked. Willis is a great guy and one of the most down to earth, personal athletes on this campus. The award is given to the defensive back who portray's leadership and the never give up attitude that Chucky had. Willis is definately the guy that deserves the award.

By no means should this jersey be retired, I believe the tradition should continue in the same fashion it has been for the bast 17 years. Someone needs to convince Willis to wear the jersey this year and then when he makes it to the NFL he can return to Number 49. I am interested to hear everyone's thoughts on this.