Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Bianco Comments

Below are some comments by Ole Miss head coach Mike Bianco that appeared in the Baton Rouge paper concerning the possible firing of LSU head coach Smoke Laval:

“I think college baseball is a little different now,” Bianco said, alluding to the parity in the game. “Even when he (Bertman) was there, the expectations were so high, if you don’t win it, it’s almost not good enough.”

Bianco reminded reporters he is moving into a new home in a swank subdivision of Oxford, Miss., and although he left out this part, that’s one of many benefits of a salary higher than the one LSU pays to Laval.
“As far as my situation, I love Oxford,” Bianco said. “My wife and I love it here. We’re looking forward to our regional.”

Still, the conversation couldn’t avoid the past. Bianco was a first-year LSU player in 1988, the last time the Tigers stayed home during the regionals.
“Well,” he joked, “I won’t be known as the only team from LSU that didn’t get in.”